Saturday, November 3, 2012

Student Math Projects




   The work below is a mixed bag of math projects and activities.  I often have my students make up their own homework and tests and I often do projects and hands on activities to help their math skills along. Plus it's more interesting for me and the kids alike.  Some of the work below is scanned and of somewhat poor quality, but hopefully you get the idea as to what was being attempted.  If you hover over the image and click on it, it should jump to a larger image with a bit more detail.  I've always saved a few things, but a lot of the time, students aren't exactly using the best paper  and it might have hung on the wall for  a while,   so  some of the examples  are a bit worse for the wear. 

______________________________


A lot of times math looks like this, and that's not all bad.  A paper and pencil
are still good tools for experiencing and understanding math.  Plus, as long as the 
various state and federal tests are really nothing more than a big work
sheet, filling in the blank, reading directions, and working through
printed material is a great way of studying for such assessments.

_______________________________________


The above project of drawing a rainbow is really a lesson in fractions.

_______________________________________


As you can see from the iffy scan the student is able to state how many
parts are in her rainbow and then designate what fractional part each 
color represents.  Fraction are sometimes hard to teach, and any hands on
activity can sometimes be informative and lessen the boring
nature of learning fractions.

______________________________________


This is a simple coloring/drawing/fractions project.  The student 
traces a shape I pass out, and then colors in a few and 
writes the fraction represented by the colored in sections.

_______________________________________


Another example of traced shaped colored in and then the 
appropriate fractions written.

________________________________________


    A quick easy project.  The students trace any object handy and then measure them, this one is in inches.  I often have them retrace the same shape and use a metric ruler.  Sometimes I take the object tracings and copy them before they are measured and in this way the generate their own worksheet. 

_______________________________________


   I do this project every year, just about.  I get these sponge animals that grow/expand when put in water.  The students measure them at the beginning and then every day to see how much they grow.  Wet slimy sponges and tables get wet, all the students like it.

______________________________________



More measuring.

_______________________________________


   It looks like he's measuring with a metric ruler.  I always pester my students to use both.  Although secretly, this old guy still thinks in inches.

_______________________________________


    This is the final result of letting the sponge animals grow and measuring them daily.  The students have generated a data sheet and now plot a bar graph to represent the growth over a period of days.  If they follow through with the whole project I generally give them another sponge animal with a promise of no more math work with their new sponge animal.  Plus their name gets written down on the sacred list of people who might get to make donuts!

_______________________________________


It's hard to see, but I have my students trace real or plastic coins and put + signs between them to generate money problems.  A quick trip to the copy machine and you have another self generated worksheet.  Below I pasted in a student generated worksheet with the coins being represented by P, N, D, and Q.

________________________________________

More Math Problems by Antonio

I went to Popeye’s and got some chicken  for  $7.00, some mashed potatoes for  $8.00, and some gravy for  $1.00.    How much did I spend?

Q=quarter, D=dime, N=nickel, and P=penny

Q+D+P+P=

Q+Q+Q+P=

D+D+D+D=

P+N+D=


N+N+N+P=
 
24 +10=

23+10=

50+10=

4+6+__=14

6+4+__= 16

2+5+__= 13

3+8+__= 18

6+7+ __= 20

________________________________________


    The work above represents a 2nd grade student generating a  worksheet using what we did/learned in class that day or week as a jumping off point. All of my student do this.  I start by having the students do the problems with paper and pencil and then move them on to the computer.  I then cut and paste the work into 
google documents for posting. 
   This is great for me because  if I need supplemental work or a homework assignment I can cut and paste from the document below.  This is also helpful if a student forgets to take home their homework or their parents want to see what they are working on in class.  They can print out their own worksheets. Below will be  a link  to an unfinished,  not checked over, rough selection of a long document that contains quite a few student generated worksheets.  This is how I generally keep them online, it's easier for me to pick and choose to use with my students.













No comments:

Post a Comment